Dental emergencies can happen at any time, any place. It can be a tooth or tongue injury due to an accident or trauma, sudden, excruciating pain in the jaw, teeth, or gums, failed restorations, or severe dental abscess. When you encounter a sudden dental issue requiring urgent medical attention, About Smiles Family and Cosmetic Dentistry in Austin, TX, offers same-day treatments to help our patients ease pain and feel better.
Common Dental Emergencies That Require Immediate Medical Care
Here are the common dental emergencies that happen to most people:
- Chipped or cracked teeth
- Swollen gums
- Dental trauma and accidents
- Broken or lost dental restorations
- Root canal infection
- Gum infections and swelling
- Tooth pain due to infection or cavities
- Damaged, extruded, or lost teeth
What To Do In The Case Of An External Trauma To The Teeth?
If you lost one or more teeth due to external trauma or accident, our dentist might be able to restore them if you reach us in time. Take care to keep the teeth moist; if possible, put the tooth into the tooth socket. You can also try placing the extruded tooth between your cheek and gums or in a glass of milk so that it stays moist. Do not touch or impair the tooth root, as reattaching a tooth with a damaged root is not possible.
What If Dental Emergencies Are Not Treated On Time?
If you encounter a dental emergency, it is vital to seek urgent dental care. Getting emergency dental care at the earliest will help the patient ease pain and relieve the complications of injury or infection. In certain situations, disregarding a dental emergency for too long can be deadly. The infection from gum disease or a dental abscess, when left untreated, can spread to the neighboring teeth, jaw, and other organs such as the heart or brain.
Not getting prompt dental treatment may further deteriorate the patient's condition and lead to potential tooth loss, necessitating extensive dental restoration treatments.
How To Prevent Dental Emergencies
By taking good care of teeth and mouth, it is possible to avoid most types of dental emergencies. The Austin, TX, dentist suggests the following steps to prevent dental emergencies:
- Practice good oral hygiene. Brush your teeth twice daily using fluoride toothpaste and a soft-bristle toothbrush. Also, floss once daily and use an antimicrobial mouthwash.
- Replace your toothbrush every three months or early if the bristles become frayed.
- Do not bite or chew hard foods, ice, etc., to avoid chipping of teeth or if you have dental restorations placed in your mouth.
- Wear mouthguards while taking part in sports and games.
For more details or to schedule a consultation at About Smiles Family & Cosmetic Dentistry, call Dentist in Austin TX or Dentist in Round Rock TX at 512-444-5577