If you can maintain a good teeth and healthy gums, you can be able to have a good health. You must know that oral hygiene is important if you want to maintain a healthy body or else you have to spend a lot on your medical treatment. Along with these, you have to bear a lot of harassment. Therefore, to avoid this problem, you need to take care of your dental health.
Dental hygiene or oral hygiene is a process by which you can take a few dental care regimens so that you can easily prevent dental emergencies. The best oral hygiene regimen is the in-home oral hygiene routine you carry out.
Ways to perform dental hygiene at home
Taking dentist’s advice
It is really essential to take advice of a licensed dental hygienist or an expert dentist to perform your at -home dental regimen. You are responsible for regular dental maintenance. However, if you take the advice of a dental expert, you can promote a better preventative dental care.
Removing dental plaque
You brush your teeth in order to remove plaque. However, you must remember that alone tooth brushing cannot remove the tartar or calculus that builds up on teeth over times. It is essential to remove dental plaque in order to prevent the chance of toothaches, periodontal disease, cavities, and the most importantly tooth missing. If you can remove plaque, you can avoid the risks of requirement of root canals, dental bridges, tooth extractions, crowns and more. Having good teeth results in good health.
Preserving good oral health depends on your dental health regimen and this is the easiest thing that you can do for dental health. Healthy teeth help you look and feel good. On the other hand, they help you masticate and speak in a proper manner. In a brief, you can get a better facial expression and contribute to your overall health.
Regular oral preventative care along with brushing and cleaning help you prevent dental issues before they grow. You need to supplement your preventative care with regular dental visits. There are a few simple ways to reduce the chance of growing cavity, gum disease and other oral problems.
Things to do to reduce oral problems
- If dental health is poor, then you should consult a dental expert. But if you fear dental treatments, you can opt for sedation treatment.
- Brush properly two times a day and floss regularly.
- Eat a well balanced diet and restrict snacks between meals.
- Use oral items containing fluoride including your tooth paste
- Rinse your mouth with fluoride mouth wash. Before, use mouth wash, ask your dentist
- Ensure your children below 10 have fluoridated water if you and your children stay in a non- fluoridated region.
These preventative dental care routine helps you have a good oral health. In case if you develop any major dental disease, you can fix an appointment with an expert doctor. However, if dental procedures scare you, you can opt for sedation dentistry. With regard to this, sedation dentist in Columbus Ohio can offer a better solution to your dental issue. Consult with an expert dentist and find an answer.
It is recommended to start cleaning your baby’s mouth before their first tooth appears. You can start by taking a piece of gauze with water on it and wrap it around your finger then rub your baby’s gums and tongue. This should be done twice a day.
When your baby gets their first tooth at around 4 months old you can get a small tooth brush that is made especially for your baby and toddlers. The bristles should be very soft. Be sure to replace their tooth brush when it shows wear. If you live in an area where the water is fluoridated you should check with your doctor or dentist as they may suggest using tooth paste without fluoride until your child is at least 2 years old.
Fluoride can be harmful to your child if they ingest large amounts of it. Always remember to keep tooth paste out of your baby’s reach. When you use tooth paste only use a small dot. It should be about the size of a grain of rice. You will not have to rinse your baby’s mouth after brushing as you are using such a small amount of tooth paste.
You will not need to start flossing your baby’s teeth until they have enough teeth that they are touching each other.
If your water is not fluoridated your doctor may recommend fluoride drops or tablets. They may also suggest using fluoride tooth paste. Your doctor will be able to advice you about the best choices for your baby.
You should start taking your baby to the dentist when they get their first tooth or when they are a year old.
There are some foods you will not want to give your baby at snack time. It is better to serve them at mealtime. By serving them at mealtime the foods will probably get dislodged and won’t be on their teeth as long. It helps if you serve them with water, too. Some of the foods to avoid for snacks are fruit, dried fruit, juice, and peanut butter and jelly. Some starches to avoid are bread, crackers, pasta and pretzels.
Don’t give your baby a bottle of milk, juice, formula or sweet drinks when you put them to bed. It may cause tooth decay.
By using these guidelines your baby will have great dental checkups and be on their way to a lifetime of healthy teeth.
Who doesn’t like beautiful and white colored teeth in today’s world? Especially for all those who have yellow or discolored teeth, there are many teeth whitening tricks that actually work wonders.
Natural ways are one of the best ways to treat the teeth as they pose no threat or side effects. Because teeth are the first impression that you leave on anybody, it is essential that you keep your teeth sparkling white. Here are top natural ways that contribute in teeth whitening without any side effects:
Brush twice a day
Doctors say that brushing your teeth twice a day is most ideal; once in the morning and once before sleeping at night. Regular brushing and flossing your teeth is the primary step to a healthy teeth and gum.
Try Baking soda and Hydrogen Peroxide
This is one of the most effective natural teeth whiteners. Many people have tried this method and are happy with the results. Make a paste of both these components and brush like the normal way. Remember to make it a runnier paste and not a stiff one. Hydrogen peroxide is an anti-bacterial agent and therefore works best for keeping the mouth free of germs and is a wonderful gum cleaner.
Mix some charcoal with your regular toothpaste and brush at least twice a day with it. Charcoal is known to have powerful cleaning crystals that instantly whiten your teeth in the natural way.
Apple cider vinegar removes stubborn stains
Especially if you are a regular coffee and a tea drinker, you would understand how stubborn some stains are. These can be removed by the use of apple cider vinegar. None of the home remedies is a quick process and they all take time to show their results. You have to be persistent with any of the techniques that you are trying. Remember to rinse your mouth really nicely after you brush with Apple cider vinegar.
Use lemon and orange peels
Ever since the ancient times, the lemon and orange peels have been known to do the whitening trick. It is one of the most effective ways of lightening the skin or the teeth color. These food products are very good and healthy and they are incorporated in the daily diet. A good mouth rinse is recommended after rubbing the lemon and orange peels. Hydrogen peroxide is a great bacterial agent and it keeps the breath fresh by removing bad breath.
These treatments work best because of their natural properties and moreover, they are also easy to perform by you at home. Since the above mentioned strategies are all homemade and natural, there is no risk of harmful or damaging impacts.
Did you notice any white coating on your tongue? The white coating found on the tongue are actually formed by countless of unusual microbes known as biofilm. There are usually many accumulated bacteria found on the tongue which will cause bad breath.
Proper oral care and tongue brushing can help to minimize the problem. You can either use a tongue cleaner or toothbrush to eliminate the white coating on the tongue. This can help to lessen the bad breath. We have to do these steps repeatedly daily because the biofilm cannot be eliminated forever and will reestablish itself again after a while.
The white coating on the tongue can also be caused by dry mouth. If you are not drinking enough water, it is quite likely that the food particles left on your mouth will stick onto the tongue. Water will help to flush away the food particles and will minimize the chance of food particles sticking onto the tongue. Avoid drinking milk based products such as coffee, milk tea or even soy milk which can also be the contributing factors to the white coating. Besides brushing your teeth 2 – 3 times a day, you should also floss and clean your tongue. You should also visit the dentist every 6 months.
A new study has suggested that tooth decay in children can contribute to delay in their growth.
The research, which is published in the online version of Pediatrics journal, was carried out by researchers at the University College London and the King Fahad Army Forces Hospital in Saudi Arabia.
Researchers decided to study the relationship between oral health and growth after finding that previous studies presented conflicting evidence. In this study, the research teams analyzed the relationship between dental decay and height and weight in a group of Saudi Arabian children aged between 6 and 8 years old who had significant signs of decay.
The children’s oral health status was evaluated according to the DMFT index, which represents decayed, missing and filled teeth and their height and weight were recorded according to scales used by the World Health Organization.
Researchers then performed statistical evaluation and analysis of the figures and found that there was a correlation between low weight and height and high incidence of cavities. Those who had severe decay were more likely to be underweight and shorter than average.
The authors of the study also confirmed that there was a significant link between decay and growth, even when additional factors, such as demographic and social values, were taken into account.
The research teams concluded that this study suggests that there is an inverse relationship between growth and decay, with those showing signs of cavities more likely to experience stunted or delayed growth.
Straight and properly aligned teeth, an attractive smile, enhanced oral and dental function, and an improved dental health in general are some of the added advantages of the having braces. Extra care and caution is required to be paid when you have braces, however.
Here are some of the common features of wearing and maintaining healthy and comfortable braces:
• Good oral and braces hygiene is very important because any food particles that you swallow tend to get stuck in between the wires and this may lead to decay of the enamel. Prevention of the food sticking to the smaller areas is a very important factor. Left over foods in the mouth also combines with the bacteria residing in the mouth to produce some bleaching agents which is harmful for the quality of teeth.
• The best way to keep the braces clean is to brush after every meal you have. Make use of the floss threader at least once a day to clear the braces or under the wires. You can double check in the mirror and make sure all the food particles are gone. If by chance you do not have your toothbrush with you, do not forget to rinse your mouth rigorously with water.
• The braces are made up of those thin wires that you might have seen. These wires are tightened by the dentist at every visit you make. It might cause some discomfort and pressure on the teeth. The doctor will recommend eating soft foods along with some pain relievers. Furthermore, sometimes, the braces can be rubbed on the inside of the lips. In such cases, there is a special wax available that is supposed to be applied on the wires to prevent them from touching the inside of the lips.
• Another important factor that has to be considered is the time period of how long the braces need to be worn. Most of the times, it depends on the type of complication prevalent. On an average, all the braces are worn for 18 to 30 months. Once the prescribed time period of wearing the clear braces is over, the patient will have to wear the retainer. A retainer is used to maintain the position of the teeth while the alignment of the tissues that surround the teeth is straightened.
• Foods that promote tooth decay and all types of gum diseases should be avoided. For instance sweets, soda, sugary or starchy foods should be strictly avoided during the time you have clear braces on. This is because once the sugary or the sticky foods stick to the braces, they are difficult to remove. Pay special attention to the wires by the front teeth by avoiding eating the carrots, apples, or any crunchy and solid foods.
Braces are meant to strengthen and beautify the oral hygiene to a great extent. It is very important they stay safe and healthy so you can have a beautiful and vibrant smile!