Preventive dentistry refers to all dental care procedures and treatments designed to prevent oral care problems before they occur and maintain your overall health. Here are some of the high-quality preventive dentistry services we provide at About Smiles.
ARESTIN: A painless treatment for gum disease
About Smiles uses ARESTIN®, an antibiotic that kills the bacteria that causes gum disease (periodontal disease) at the root of the problem. It comes in a powder and is applied directly to the affected area. ARESTIN offers a number of benefits for patients:
- Painless treatment can be applied during a routine visit
- Will dissolve on its own (no removal required)
- Releases the antibiotic over time, killing bacteria
Checkups: Helping you maintain your dental health
Is it time for your routine six-month checkup? Detecting dental problems in their early stages is vital for your overall health. Catching problems early helps you minimize the treatment needed and avoid unnecessary expenses. Dr. Hoover and About Smiles hygienists perform comprehensive exams to evaluate and address each patient’s individual dental health concerns. We help you obtain and maintain a beautiful smile.
- Meticulous examination of teeth, gums, tissues and oral cavity
- Complete screening for oral cancer, periodontal disease, cavities and decay
- We provide your family an optimal and comfortable dental experience
Cleaning and Polishing: Preventing plaque and tartar
Plaque and tartar are the main causes of gum disease. Plaque is a sticky film that forms on the teeth and can usually be brushed off. Tartar is plaque that hardens, forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with dental instruments. About Smiles in Austin provides routine cleaning to help you eliminate bacteria buildup. Our hygienists also polish the surface of your teeth to prevent future plaque and tartar buildup.
- Destroys harmful bacteria, plaque and tartar that can lead to serious health issues
- Proactive measure to prevent gum disease, tooth decay, and other problems
- Painless procedure will keep your mouth clean and brighten your smile
Digital X-Rays: Making a map of your dental health
About Smiles in Austin uses innovative X-ray technology to get the best picture of your dental health. We use digital X-rays, which are lower in radiation, more environmentally friendly, and higher in depth and clarity. We also use panoramic X-rays and computer 3D scans to get a full, three-dimensional view of your mouth. These X-ray technologies enable us to provide a more thorough examination.
- Reveal microscopic dental details invisible to the naked eye
- Catch dental problems early for quicker and easier treatment
- Helps detect impacted teeth, bone abnormalities, and other potential problems
Intra Oral Camera Detection: Taking a clearer picture
Like X-rays, photos are a great tool for examining your dental health and tracking your treatment progress. About Smiles uses an intra oral camera to take pictures of your mouth so we can see things crisp and clear. This helps up detect problem areas and devise solutions to meet your specific dental needs. These photos also provide a way to see how any general, restorative or cosmetic treatments have made a difference.
- Pinpoint broken fillings, and chipped or worn teeth
- Help to identify areas of decay, plaque and gum disease
- Before-and-after views of cosmetic or restorative dentistry
Hygiene Instruction: Improving your dental health
Good hygiene involves more than addressing problems; it’s about taking preventative measures every day. At About Smiles in Austin, we focus on helping patients to improve their overall hygiene. With each visit, we provide instruction on how you can better meet your dental hygiene needs. We recommend routine checkups every six months to reduce the presence of bacteria and plaque. We also recommend:
- Flossing your teeth at least once every day
- Brushing your teeth two or three times each day with fluoride toothpaste
- Maintaining a healthy diet and limiting consumption of sugary foods
Dental Sealants: Adding an extra layer of protection
Sealants help shield teeth against bacteria, plaque and acids, aiding in the prevention of tooth decay and cavities. About Smiles dental professionals apply a thin coating in the grooves of your teeth where food particles and bacteria embed themselves. The sealant provides an added layer of protection to reduce your chances of future dental problems.
- Applying the sealant is quick, easy and painless
- Provides long-lasting protection (lasting 5-10 years)
- Ideal for teenagers and children to prevent decay that can start early in life
Cavity Detection: Using fluorescent laser technology
About Smiles in Austin employs state-of-the-art dentistry tools to provide our patients the best possible treatment. Fluorescent laser technology enables us to pinpoint early-stage cavities underneath the tooth’s surface with over 90% accuracy. Using laser-assisted cavity detection, we can provide early and effective treatment that will be more convenient, comfortable and cost effective for the patient.
- Detects two millimeters below the tooth’s surface where decay begins
- Locates cavities and decay you can’t see on the tooth’s surface
- More comfortable than the old method of “picking” into the tooth’s surface
Anesthetic Reversal: Speeding your recovery time
Dental anesthetics typically require patients to wait hours for the effects to wear off. Numbness can be limiting, affecting your speech, your smile, and your ability to drink. About Smiles offers OraVerse® anesthetic reversal, which speeds up the anesthetic recovery process so you experience less down time after a dental procedure.
- OraVerse takes approximately 25 minutes to start reversing numbing agents
- Numbness is usually gone in about an hour (twice as fast as normal)
- OraVerse cannot be used for all procedures, so ask ahead of time